Friday, November 20, 2009

Pumpkin Corn Soup

I recently went to Washington D.C. and found that I just loved the Mitsitam Cafe at The National Museum of the American Indian. Regional Native American dishes, such as South America's tamales and fresh Yucca fries were grouped together at one serving area. It is amazing how much of Native American food we think of as merely 'American' food. Pork and beans is a classic example, pot pie (like the rabbit pot pie I had while there) is another. Mmmm, and fry bread must be the ancestor to every good bread product you have ever had !

To no ones surprise I picked up a two cookbooks in the museum's bookshop; one focused on the Southwest, and another that covered many other areas as well. Earlier in the week I decided to try to make the Pumpkin Corn Soup from the first book... here is my adapted recipe and the book information at the bottom. This wont be the last recipe I try from this book!


Pumpkin Corn Soup from:

Foods of the Southwest Indian Nations: Traditional and Contemporary Native American Recipes
by Lois Ellen Frank

3 cups frozen corn kernals
2 cloves minced garlic
salt & white pepper
3 cups chicken stock
4 cups pumpkin puree

Cook the corn kernels for at least 10 min with a little water until soft. Drain and put in food processor or blender until pureed. Pass corn puree through a sieve (will take some stirring) and discard the left over skins.  Combine the corn liquid with all  remaining ingredients except the pumpkin puree and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for another 10 minutes.  Add pumpkin puree and cook for an additional 10 minutes.

I didnt make the ginger lime cream to go with it (I would have but I was kind of tired at that point and forgot about it), also I added more pumpkin than the original recipe as it didn't taste very pumpkin-y to me. I think this is just the beginning of me finding out how sutble pumpkin flavor is.. or perhaps how strong corn flavor is... thoughts?

A worthy review of the book can be found here. Should you wish to buy it here is an Amazon link. (Don't worry I dont make any money of it.. I do just like the book!)

I found part of it on Google Books:

No comments:

Post a Comment