Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Pumpkin Breads

The recipe I used for pumpkin bread is my roomate's grandmother's recipe. I made two batches. One with whole wheat flour and a half splenda, half sugar mixture. The other I used it as given below but with an extra accidental amount of flour! I was trying to halve the recipe (as this makes two loaves) and I put in 3 cups of flour instead of ~1 1/2 ! This made it a bit cake-ier but whose complaining! This recipe of course calls for a 16 oz can of pumpkin puree which I replaced with an eyeballing it equivalent amount. So far I've learned that pumpkin can be a pretty subtle flavor so its worth dumping in extra if you can help it.

Nana Black's Pumpkin Bread

2/3 cup vegetable shortening ( I used butter flavor )
2 2/3 cup sugar
4 eggs
16oz can of pumpkin puree
2/3 cup water
3 1/3 cup flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2/3 cup nuts (optional)

Mix the shortening and the sugar until well blended. In a second bowl mix together the eggs, pumpkin and water and then blend in to first bowl until thoroughly mixed. In another bowl mix flour, baking soda, spices and nuts. Blend this dry ingredients bowl into the wet mixture. Grease 2 bread loaf pans, pour half in each and put in the oven at 350 F for 70 minutes. Let cool completely before removing.

On the left, Whole Wheat version, on the right, Regular Flour (extra on accident)


No comments:

Post a Comment