Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Spanish Mahi Mahi with Tomatoes, Pine Nuts and Garlic

Aside from the magazines I scour I do come across other interesting blogs from time to time. One of them is  Hunter Angler Gardner Cook, whose writer introduces himself succinctly as such:


"My name is Hank Shaw. I write. I fish. I dig earth, raise plants, live for food and kill wild animals... Honest food is what I’m seeking. Nothing packaged, nothing in a box, nothing wrapped in plastic."


He tends to focus on some of the less common editable plants and animals which is how I came across his recipe for Spanish Shark with Tomatoes.  As much as I admire Mr. Shaw's dedication to actually wild  food I didn't have shark. All I had was frozen Mahi Mahi but I gave it a shot anyway. Here is my modified recipe:


Spanish Mahi Mahi with Tomatoes, Pine Nuts and Garlic

12 ounces skinless fillets of mahi mahi or other firm, white fish
Whole wheat flour for dusting
At least 3 tablespoons olive oil
3-4 garlic cloves, slivered
1/3 cup pine nuts
4 tablespoons white wine
9-10 Cherry tomatoes cut in half
2 teaspoons paprika (Spanish smoked is better)
1 teaspoon thinly sliced scallions
1 teaspoon minced chives (optional)
Salt
Black pepper

1.  Cube the fish into chunks of about an inch on a side. Salt well and set aside.
2.  Put a saute pan over medium heat and add the pine nuts to toast. Do not walk away at this point, because pine nuts can burn easily. Toss the pan frequently to toast all sides of the nuts. Once you get a dark brown on even a few nuts, turn off the heat and pour the nuts into a bowl.
3.  Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Turn the heat up to medium high.
4.  Dust the shark in the flour and saute in the oil 5-6 minutes turning frequently after the first 2 minutes.  Set the cooked fish on a paper towel to drain.
5.  Add the garlic and pine nuts to the pan and saute. Add a more olive oil if the fish soaked up too much. The second you see the garlic brown, add the tomatoes and toss to combine. Grind some black pepper over everything.
6.  Add the wine and scrape up any stuck-on bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
7.  Sprinkle a little salt over the tomatoes, then add the fish back to the pan. Sprinkle with the paprika. Cook for only another minute or so, just to coat everything evenly. It is very important that you not cook the tomatoes so much they break down. Just a couple minutes is all they need.
8.  Add the scallions and herbs, toss to combine and remove from heat. Serve immediately!




No comments:

Post a Comment