Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Importance of Condiments




Today for lunch I had a turkey sandwich, which I'm sure to most people, doesn't sound very exciting. 

This sandwich, however, is a reminder to me of both the importance of condiments and to take the time to make something nice for myself. I will grant you that it took some time to pick up all the ingredients yesterday while out shopping, but I have to go to the grocery store anyway so why not get something new or different to try? Condiments can really change things up so give them as much importance as any of your other ingredients. In the morning it took all of 10 minutes to actually construct my little gourmet sandwich as I like to put everything in tupperware so I can compile it right before eating (no soggy bread thank you!), but even then we arent talking about very much time and the results are far better than your typical bread and meat combo.


If this is all too much mystery then I will relate the contents of my lunch sandwich so you can salivate in proper envy. I started with roasted garlic bread I found at Costco, layered on smoked turkey and a slice of swiss and a slice of havarti cheese. At this point I figured a bit more meat might even things out so I slapped on two pieces of salami as well. After some red-leaf lettuce, some sliced up roma tomatoes I figured I was almost done. I threw on a touch of salt on the tomatoes, added some avacado and some basil leaves I found in the fridge as well because at this point, why not!? The best part was adding in some mayo and a new three pepper mustard I got while in Virginia this past week. I was happy to find that Golding Farms sell their products online so I'll be picking up more mustard in the future. The next batch of deviled eggs scream for this mustard!


While in Virginia I also picked up some Spicy Plum Chutney, made by the Virginia Chutney Company, who also sell their products online. I am eager to try this on some kind of meat, though I have found just on bread with cheese to be excellent. I might sound like I am making a plug for these condiments but that is only because I have found them rather tasty and it can be surprising how much something like a gourmet (or just anything unique) condiment can really change up your lunch. I just wish I had more room in my condiment section of my fridge but I can't seem to throw any of it out... 

No comments:

Post a Comment